Friday, February 4, 2011

Working Moms make thier kids fat

http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/02/04/children.bmi.moms/index.html?hpt=C2

So the link above is an article on CNN about a study that was done using 900 kids whose mothers work. When I read this article I was pissed. The title alone makes me mad. Now a days women have to work but how is it only the woman's problem. What about the men, why are no studies done about men who work and the correlation between this and that. I am over so society beating down who have to work

Another thing that upset me was saying that because moms work we don't provide good meals for our children. I Cook 5 nights a week, hubby does one and usually a treat to eat out. However if there has been a night where I had a rough day at work, yes then I will swing thru a drive thru. However my kids get healthy meals and they drink alot of milk. I hate that working mothers get such a bad stereotype.

One commenter on the article wrote this:
Ideally one parent should stay home to be there for the kids. Unfortunately, divorces may force many moms to work. If not divorce, then insufficient income by both parents, or greed, expensive lifestyle, lackadaisical attitude towards kids, self-centered and selfish personalities...any of these can contribute to kids' health being ignored.

The sad thing about this comment though is that so many people think that working mothers are selfish. Yes I have a Bachelors in Social Work, Yes I am in the process of going to Grad School, yes I work 40 hours a week, However I have children who need thing (insurance, food, clothing, and shelter) and I refuse to live off the system. I am neither self centered or have selfish personality, as I rarely do anything for myself(I have the same pair of sneakers from 5 years ago). I work to provide for my kids so others don't have to.

Working mothers sometimes have a harder job than a SAHM- we have to balance work, kids and also our own guilt for working.

I know that I am a better mother because I work.Yes I did the SAHM and hope to do it again if we ever have another child. However I would never thrown stones at someone without knowing the whole situation.

Ok I am getting off my soap box.

No comments:

Post a Comment